Ben Sewell – Principal
Ben is an expert in insolvency law and commercial litigation, with 16 years’ experience as a specialist lawyer.
- Recognised as an industry thought leader
- Participated in a landmark Australian-first case
- Known for providing personal attention to clients
Ben has been identified as a thought leader by the NSW Law Society for the new safe harbour for directors and chaired its Insolvency Reform Masterclass in 2018.
Ben has the practical and technical knowledge to help directors develop a restructuring plan for their insolvent business.
Ben is also a leading expert in personal property securities law, and advises hirers, lenders, creditors and insolvency practitioners about this evolving area. In 2014, Ben represented clients in the first Australian case that interpreted section 20 of the Personal Property Securities Act. Ben also drafts security documentation and advises financiers about receivables financing.
Ben has represented a range of clients as an advocate in the NSW, Victorian, Queensland and Federal Courts.
Ben is known for providing personal attention to his clients and for treating client relationships as his most important asset.
Ben is an industry leader in insolvency law and commercial litigation, and has recorded a series of impressive achievements during his career:
- Policy-making involvement in the NSW Law Society as a member of the Insolvency Business Law Committee
- Publishing journal articles and presenting seminars for Chartered Accountants, CPA Australia, the Australian Institute of Credit Management, Law
- Society of NSW and the Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association
- International experience as a member of the International Committee of the American Bankruptcy Institute
- Teaching insolvency professionals the postgraduate Insolvency Education Program (ARITA)
- Master of Laws in Corporate & Commercial Law
- Master of Business Administration
- Graduate Certificate of Law (Insolvency Education Program)
- Practising law since 2003
- Law Society of NSW
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- International Association of Restructuring, Insolvency & Bankruptcy Professionals (INSOL)
Lauren Willgoose – Lawyer
Since joining Sewell & Kettle in 2016, Lauren has focused on commercial litigation – particularly insolvency and bankruptcy disputes.
In addition to her litigation experience in NSW, Lauren has represented clients in the Federal Court and the Federal Circuit Court of Australia. She has also appeared on behalf of clients in the Supreme Court of Victoria and the Magistrates Court of Queensland.
Lauren does work for a range of clients, include individuals, small- to medium-sized enterprises, liquidators, receivers and other professional bodies. She regularly advises clients on commercial disputes and suitable debt recovery strategies.
Lauren has a commitment to understanding her clients and building strong relationships. She works with her clients to deliver outcomes that best meet their needs.
- Bachelor of Laws
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice
- Admitted as a legal practitioner (solicitor) in 2016
- Completing Masters of Laws, specialising in corporate and commercial law
- Law Society of NSW
- Women’s Insolvency Network Australia (NSW branch)