Ben is an expert in insolvency law and commercial litigation, with 18 years experience as a specialist lawyer.
- Recognised as an industry thought leader
- Participated in a landmark Australian-first case
- Known for providing personal attention to clients
- Multidisciplinary approach through both legal and accounting expertise
Ben has been identified as a thought leader by the NSW Law Society for the new safe harbour for directors and chaired its Insolvency Reform Masterclass in 2018 and 2020.
Ben has the practical and technical knowledge to help directors develop a restructuring plan for their insolvent business. Ben is both a lawyer and restructuring accountant and he takes a multidisciplinary approach to client problems.
Ben is also a leading expert in personal property securities law, and advises hirers, lenders, creditors and insolvency practitioners about this evolving area. In 2014, Ben represented clients in the first Australian case that interpreted section 20 of the Personal Property Securities Act. Ben also drafts security documentation and advises financiers about receivables financing.
Ben has represented a range of clients as an advocate in the NSW, Victorian, Queensland and Federal Courts.
Ben is known for providing personal attention to his clients and for treating client relationships as his most important asset.
Ben is an industry leader in insolvency law and commercial litigation, and has recorded a series of impressive achievements during his career:
- Strategic adviser to the Law Institute of Victoria (Small to Medium Practice Advisory Committee)
- Policy-making involvement in the NSW Law Society as a member of the Insolvency Business Law Committee
- Publishing journal articles and presenting seminars for Chartered Accountants, CPA Australia, the American Bankruptcy Institute, the Australian Institute of Credit Management, the Law Society of NSW and the Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association
- International experience as a member of the International Committee of the American Bankruptcy Institute
- Teaching insolvency professionals the postgraduate Insolvency Education Program (ARITA)
- Author of “The Construction Industry and Insolvency Law” in the National Building Service published by Thomson Reuters
- Master of Laws in Corporate & Commercial Law
- Master of Business Administration
- Graduate Certificate of Law (Insolvency Education Program)
- Practising law since 2003
- Corporate Reconstruction Accountant holding a public practice certificate
- Law Society of NSW
- Law Institute of Victoria
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Association for Business Restructuring and Turnaround
- International Association of Restructuring, Insolvency & Bankruptcy Professionals
- Institute of Public Accountants
Senior Financial Accountant
Sean is a Certified Practising Accountant (CPA) with over 20 years of experience, most recently as a Chief Financial Officer.
Sean is a Certified Practising Accountant (CPA) with over 20 years of experience and a major focus in the Building and Construction industry, most recently as a Chief Financial Officer. He has the practical knowledge and experience to help companies sort out their financial position. He is an expert in cash flow analysis and effective accounting processes.
Having moved to Australia over 20 years ago from the UK, his expertise has been garnered over here – though he still talks like an Englishman, and has that charm to put you at ease.
Cash flow analysis
Poor cash flow is a symptom of insolvency and Sean helps clients by taking care of:
- Analysis of financial statements and management reports (trend analysis)
- Accounting reconciliations, payroll and ledger maintenance
- Co-ordination, collation and preparation of annual budget
- Managing creditors and debtors
- Advising different stakeholders of the business
- Compliance with statutory returns (including SGC, PAYG, BAS)
Effective accounting processes
To turn around a business, better processes may need to be implemented and Sean helps clients by taking care of:
- Setting up a full accounting function including the chart of accounts
- Implementing regular management accounting reports including profit and loss and cashflow
- Experience with all major accounting software including Xero, MYOB and Cashflow Manager
- All flow, invoicing, quotations and supply chain management
- Certified Practicing Accountant (CPA)
- Registered BAS Agent
- Bachelor of Business (Accounting)
Under the supervision of the firm’s lawyers, Natalia provides support on matters involving insolvency, contracts and debtor-creditor disputes.
Natalia is a foreign lawyer admitted in Brazil and holds a Bachelor of Laws degree from the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS).
Natalia has experience in a range of matters involving restructuring proceedings, judicial reorganisation, liquidation and debt recovery, with a particular focus on Latin America. In particular, she has an interest in cross-border commercial and insolvency disputes.
Bachelor of Laws
Brazilian Bar Association