Ben Sewell – Principal
Ben is an expert in insolvency law and commercial litigation, with 16 years’ experience as a specialist lawyer.
- Recognised as an industry thought leader
- Participated in a landmark Australian-first case
- Known for providing personal attention to clients
Ben has been identified as a thought leader by the NSW Law Society for the new safe harbour for directors and chaired its Insolvency Reform Masterclass in 2018.
Ben has the practical and technical knowledge to help directors develop a restructuring plan for their insolvent business.
Ben is also a leading expert in personal property securities law, and advises hirers, lenders, creditors and insolvency practitioners about this evolving area. In 2014, Ben represented clients in the first Australian case that interpreted section 20 of the Personal Property Securities Act. Ben also drafts security documentation and advises financiers about receivables financing.
Ben has represented a range of clients as an advocate in the NSW, Victorian, Queensland and Federal Courts.
Ben is known for providing personal attention to his clients and for treating client relationships as his most important asset.
Ben is an industry leader in insolvency law and commercial litigation, and has recorded a series of impressive achievements during his career:
- Policy-making involvement in the NSW Law Society as a member of the Insolvency Business Law Committee
- Publishing journal articles and presenting seminars for Chartered Accountants, CPA Australia, the Australian Institute of Credit Management, Law
- Society of NSW and the Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association
- International experience as a member of the International Committee of the American Bankruptcy Institute
- Teaching insolvency professionals the postgraduate Insolvency Education Program (ARITA)
- Master of Laws in Corporate & Commercial Law
- Master of Business Administration
- Graduate Certificate of Law (Insolvency Education Program)
- Practising law since 2003
- Law Society of NSW
- Law Institute of Victoria
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- International Association of Restructuring, Insolvency & Bankruptcy Professionals (INSOL)