There are eight main things to look for when you choose a lawyer:
- Expertise – is the lawyer an expert in the type of law that’s relevant to you (such as insolvency law)?
- Integrity – will the lawyer act in your best interests?
- Communication – will the lawyer give you regular updates on your case and speak to you in plain English?
- Confidentiality – will the lawyer keep your personal and business information private?
- Honesty – will the lawyer tell you the truth?
- Independence – can the lawyer guarantee that they will have no conflicts of interest if they take on your case?
- Pricing – can the lawyer offer a simple and transparent fee structure?
- Prompt advice – will the lawyer evaluate your needs upfront before making you commit?